The Arizona Community Foundation is poised to assist you with your year-end giving. So that we can provide the best possible service and ensure your charitable gifts qualify for a charitable income tax deduction in the 2022 tax year, please keep these important dates in mind:
- All documentation for gifts of complex assets should be submitted as soon as possible and no later than Wednesday, December 7. This ensures the documentation will be reviewed by ACF’s Gift Acceptance Committee before the end of the year.
- Gifts of appreciated stock should be made by Thursday, December 22 in order to be received by December 30. Notify your relationship manager prior to initiating the transfer. Please note that transfers of mutual funds may take additional time. Please consult your investment advisor.
- Checks sent via the U.S. Postal Service to any ACF or regional office must be postmarked on or before Saturday, December 31.
- Checks sent via carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL to any ACF or regional office must be received on or before Friday, December 30. The airway bill must also be dated on or before Friday, December 30.
- Wire transfers of cash must be received no later than Friday, December 30. We recommend initiating the transfer no later than Monday, December 26.
- Credit card gifts made by phone or online may be made until Saturday, December 31.
Call 602.682.2016 to contact Philanthropic Coordinator Shawn Watt for assistance.
Year-end grant recommendations
Donor advised fundholders may wish to recommend grants as part of year-end campaigns or holiday contributions. In order for nonprofit recipients to receive grant checks in 2022*, recommendations should be made by noon on Wednesday, December 14. Donor advised fund grant recommendations should be made online through ACF Connect, our online portal for fund management. If you haven't set up an account in our online portal, contact your relationship manager or call 602.381.1400.
ACF calculates a grantmaking target of 4.25% of the fund's balance, averaged over the previous three years. For endowed funds, the grantmaking target remains available for granting through March 31, 2023. On April 1, 2023, any un-granted amount is reinvested in the fund and a new grantmaking target is calculated for the new fiscal year. For spendable funds, the grantmaking target may be treated as a guideline for fundholders wishing to grow the fund over time and create a lasting charitable legacy.
*The timing of donor advised fund grants has no effect on your 2022 charitable income tax donations since your tax deductible charitable gift was made when you contributed it to your donor advised fund. However, the nonprofit may not receive the check in 2022 if the recommendation is made after December 14.
Year-end office hours
The Arizona Community Foundation is ready to help you complete your year-end charitable giving, with our staff available to provide answers and process transactions until the last day of the year. Our offices will be closed on Monday, December 26 but will be open for business as usual Tuesday, December 27 through Friday, December 30 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.