The City of Tempe is providing businesses in industries most impacted by the effects of COVID-19 with grants up to $10,000*.
The Tempe Small Business Grant Program will provide qualifying businesses with $1,300 per full-time employee up to a maximum of $10,000, whichever amount is less.
The City of Tempe established the program to assist in the stabilization of existing small businesses within the City of Tempe that have experienced significant business disruption due to the impact of COVID-19. These grant funds will assist small businesses in the City of Tempe by helping them to meet general business expenses, which in turn may help them retain or hire employees.
An additional goal of the program is to award up to 20% of the funds to minority, veteran, or women-owned businesses.
Approximately $1.1 million is available through the program on a first-come, first-served basis.
*While funding is available; total amount is based upon full-time employees retained or hired; applying for a grant does not guarantee funds will be awarded. Program administered by the Arizona Community Foundation.
Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, October 12, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 30, 2020. Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Private, for-profit business with a physical commercial establishment within the City of Tempe committed to remaining in Tempe beyond April 30, 2021. (Home-based or mobile businesses are not eligible)
- Have experienced a substantial loss of revenue due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Proof of financial hardship may be required.
- Have less than $5,000,000 in gross annual receipts.
- Have no outstanding tax liens or legal judgments.
- Is in good standing with the Arizona Corporation Commission.
- Is not affiliated with another business under common ownership/management that has applied for funds.
- Small business with a minimum of 1 employee, and no more than 100 employees. Either 1099 contract employees or direct employees will be counted to meet this requirement.
- Have been in continuous business in Tempe since at least October 12, 2019, except for closures mandated by governmental orders issued or in connection with the pandemic.
- Is not an adult-oriented business as defined in A.R.S. Section 11-811 (E) (5)
- Is not engaged in the growth, harvest, storage, transport, distribution, use, or otherwise in providing cannabis for medical or recreational purposes.
- Meets all City of Tempe, county, and state zoning and regulatory requirements.
The program is designed for businesses in industries directly impacted by business restrictions imposed under executive orders and mayoral proclamations related to the COVID-19 pandemic as shown in area unemployment data by industry. Those industries are:
- Accommodations and Food Services (NAICS Sector 72) - Includes hotels, motels, restaurants, and bars.
- Health Care and Social Assistance (NAICS Sector 62) - Includes hospitals, clinics, offices of physicians or dentists, home health care services, medical and diagnostic labs, nursing care facilities, child day care services, establishments providing social assistance to individuals and families.
- Retail Trade (NAICS Sector 44-45) - Includes motor vehicles and parts dealers, furniture stores, electronics stores, food and beverage stores, health and personal care stores, clothing stores, gas stations, sporting goods stores, book stores, hobby stores, gift shops, and music stores.
- Manufacturing (NAICS Sector 31-33) - Includes businesses that transform materials or components into new products.
- Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation (NAICS Sector 71) - Includes gyms, fitness centers, recreation centers, golf clubs, and bowling alleys.
- Administrative & Support and Waste Mgmt. & Remediation Svcs. (NAICS Sector 56) - Includes businesses that specialize in providing support activities to clients, such as office administration, hiring and placing of personnel, document preparation and clerical services, collections, security and surveillance, cleaning, and waste disposal.
- Other Services (NAICS Sector 81) - Includes automotive repair, car washes, computer and appliance repair, barber shops, nail salons, laundries, and drycleaners.