Maricopa County is offering grants up to $25,000* to small businesses and nonprofits experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Relief grants are intended to support the continued viability of small businesses and nonprofits across the Valley. For-profit businesses and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations located in Maricopa County, but not within the cities of Mesa or Phoenix**, are eligible.
*While funding is available; applying for a grant does not guarantee funds will be awarded. Program administered by the Arizona Community Foundation.
**If your organization is located within the City of Phoenix, check out funding opportunities for Phoenix small businesses.
Phase 1 of the program closed on July 31, 2020. Phase 2 will provide a broader approach to supporting qualified small businesses and nonprofits by expanding eligibility criteria.
Applications for Phase 2 will be accepted beginning Monday, August 17 through Friday, October 2, 2020. Grants will be awarded on a rolling basis until funding is exhausted or the grant period closes.
To qualify, small business and nonprofits must meet all of the following requirements:
- In operation in Maricopa County, but not within the cities of Phoenix or Mesa, prior to January 1, 2019.
- Employs 50 or fewer full-time equivalents as of March 1, 2020.
- Did not generate more than $5 million in gross revenues between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
- Gross revenues declined by at least 25% as a result of COVID-19 from March through June 2020 as compared to March through June 2019.
- Meets required zoning and regulatory requirements including:
- Having the proper zoning entitlements.
- Not having any active enforcement actions against the applicant by Maricopa County or their respective city/town government.
- Being in substantial compliance, meaning that the County or respective city/town has not taken any enforcement action authorized by law for any deficiencies.
- Is in good standing with the Arizona Corporation Commission.
- Complies with the following provisions:
- Not an adult-oriented business as defined by A.R.S. § 11-811 (E)(5).
- Not engaged in the growth, harvest, storage, transport, distribution, use or otherwise providing cannabis for medical or recreational purposes.
- Not owned, in whole or part, by a Maricopa County official or employee who, in their official capacity, participates in the oversight, development or implementation of the Maricopa County Small Business/Nonprofit Relief Program.