The City of Chandler is providing businesses impacted by the effects of COVID-19 with grants up to $10,000*, based on their employee retention and hiring.
The I Choose Chandler Business Hiring and Retention Program has relaunched with a new round of funding and will provide qualifying businesses with $1,300 per employee retained or hired since September 30, 2020, up to a maximum of $10,000. Businesses that were previously funded through the program in 2020 can submit a new application and receive additional relief funding up to the $10,000 maximum.
The City of Chandler encourages all qualifying businesses that have retained/hired employees to apply for funding as soon as possible. Funding is limited and will be provided to qualifying applicants on a first-come, first-serve basis. Businesses may only submit one application during this application period. The City of Chandler does not anticipate continuing the program beyond the application deadline of Thursday, February 25, 2021.
These funds are intended to provide a direct benefit to the citizens of Chandler by supporting Chandler businesses that are keeping employees on payroll as they adjust to revenue losses and business disruptions caused by COVID-19. Approximately $5.5 million is available through the program with this new round of funding.
*While funding is available; total amount is based upon employees retained or hired; applying for funding does not guarantee funds will be approved. Program administered by the Arizona Community Foundation.
Applications will be accepted beginning Thursday, January 7, 2021. The deadline to apply is Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
The program is open to any business that meets the following eligibility criteria:
- Private, for-profit business located in the city of Chandler;
- 100 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees or fewer, including all commonly owned/managed businesses. To determine number of FTE employees, businesses should assign a 1.0 for employees who work 40 or more hours per week and 0.5 for employees who work fewer hours.
- Businesses must agree to submit a copy of its September IRS Form 941 (Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return) and December 2020 Form 941 verifying employee hiring and retention.
- If you have hired employees since your latest Form 941 filing, please attach alternative payroll documentation showing your current employee count along with your latest Form 941. This will ensure that your business receives the appropriate funding amount based on your actual employee retention/hiring.
- If the IRS does not require your business to individually file Form 941, alternative payroll documentation must be submitted to verify employee hiring and retention. This documentation should show number of employees for the final pay period in September 2020 and number of employees for the pay period immediately prior to your I Choose Chandler Business Hiring and Retention Program application.
- Business must submit a copy of its IRS Form W-9;
- Not affiliated with another business under common ownership/management that has applied for the I Choose Chandler Business Hiring and Retention Program;
- Is not a home-based business; business must own or lease non-residential property;
- If the business leases a property, the business must commit to remain in Chandler through December 2021;
- Registered business with the City of Chandler. If you are not sure if your business is registered, email the City's Tax & License Division.