Year-end giving deadlines
The Arizona Community Foundation is poised to assist you with your year-end giving. So that we can provide the best possible service and ensure your charitable gifts qualify for a charitable income tax deduction in the 2020 tax year, please keep these important dates in mind:
- Gifts of appreciated stock should be made by December 23, 2020, in order to received by December 31. Notify your relationship manager prior to initiating the transfer. Please note that transfers of mutual funds may take additional time. Please consult your investment advisor.
- Checks sent via the U.S. Postal Service to any ACF or Affiliate office must be postmarked on or before December 31, 2020.
- Checks sent via carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL must be physically received at any ACF or Affiliate office on or before December 31, 2020.
- Wire transfers of cash must be received no later than December 31, 2020. We recommend initiating the transfer no later than December 28.
- Credit card gifts made by phone or online may be made until December 31, 2020.
Call 602.682.2082 to contact Erica Balderas for assistance.
Year-end grant recommendations
Donor advised fundholders may wish to recommend grants as part of year-end campaigns or holiday contributions. In order for nonprofit recipients to receive grant checks in 2020*, recommendations should be made by noon on Tuesday, December 15. Donor advised fund grant recommendations should be made online through ACF Connect, our new online portal that launched earlier this year. If you haven't set up an account in our online portal, contact your relationship manager or call 602.381.1400.
ACF calculates a grantmaking target of 4.25% of the fund's balance, averaged over the previous three years. For endowed funds, the grantmaking target remains available for granting through March 31, 2021. On April 1, 2021, any un-granted amount is reinvested in the fund and a new grantmaking target is calculated for the new fiscal year. For spendable funds, the grantmaking target may be treated as a guideline for fundholders wishing to grow the fund over time and create a lasting charitable legacy.
*The timing of donor advised fund grants has no effect on your 2020 charitable income tax donations since your tax deductible charitable gift was made when you contributed it to your donor advised fund. However, the nonprofit may not receive the check in 2020 if the recommendation is made after December 15.
Year-end office hours
The Arizona Community Foundation is ready to help you complete your year-end charitable giving, with our staff available to provide answers and process transactions until the last day of the year. Our offices will be closed on Thursday, December 24 and Friday, December 25 but will be open for business as usual Monday, December 28 through Thursday, December 31 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.