Janell Johnson leads Yuma Community Foundation
Janell Johnson is Western Regional Manager for ACF, having taken over the role previously held by Judy Gresser, who retired in March. Janell oversees the Yuma Community Foundation and the San Luis Community Fund, working with donors and fundholders as well as other community partners to grow charitable assets and enhance community impact through strategic grantmaking.
Janell JohnsonWestern Regional Manager
Janell came to ACF from the Arizona Western College Small Business Development Center in Yuma, where she served as a business analyst. Her professional experience includes positions in New York and New Jersey in the areas of financial services, small business management, and serving as a liaison between the City of Newark and philanthropic organizations. As a program director in Newark Mayor Cory Booker’s administration, Janell led the team that coordinated with 10 service agencies in Opportunity Reconnect, an initiative affecting the city’s reentry center for formerly incarcerated individuals. In 2012, Opportunity Reconnect was recognized among 111 of the nation’s innovative government initiatives designated as a “Bright Idea” by the Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government.
Janell holds a bachelor’s degree in Japanese Sociolinguistics from the University of Washington. She received a fellowship from the prestigious Japanese Exchange Teaching program where she worked for the Yokohama Board of Education in Japan. She currently serves as recording secretary for the Yuma Area Nonprofit Institute and as a board member for Fort Yuma Rotary.
Yuma Community Foundation awarded $86,100 last year
In 2012, thanks to a generous annual donation from the Sturges Charitable Trust, Yuma Community Foundation awarded $86,100 in competitive grants to 36 local nonprofits for various health, arts and culture, youth and other projects. The total amount requested during the grant cycle was close to $202,000. Recipients included:
- ACHIEVE Human Services
- Arizona Classical Ballet Performing Company-Yuma
- Arizona Western College Foundation
- Arizona's Children Association-Western Region
- Assistance League of Yuma
- Ballet Yuma
- Boy Scouts of America, Grand Canyon Council, Inc.
- Comite De Bien Estar, Inc.
- Crossroads Mission
- Foundation of Yuma Regional Medical Center
- Girl Scouts of Southern Arizona
- Greater Foothills Helping Hands
- Housing Authority of the City of Yuma
- Humane Society of Yuma
- KIDS CuddleKit Closet
- Planned Parenthood (cancer screenings)
- Safe Kids Yuma County
- Saguaro Foundation Community Living Programs
- Salvation Army/Boys and Girls Club of Yuma
- San Luis Corporation for the Arts and Humanities
- Sun Sounds Foundation
- The Freedom Library
- The Healing Journey
- United Way of Yuma County
- Yuma Community Food Bank
- Yuma Conservation Garden
- Yuma County Library District
- Yuma Family YMCA
- Yuma Fine Arts Association
- Yuma Neighborhood Development Organization
- Yuma Orchestra Association