Year-end giving deadlines
The Arizona Community Foundation is poised to assist you with your year-end giving. So that we can provide the best possible service and ensure your charitable gifts qualify for a charitable income tax deduction in the 2017 tax year, please keep these important dates in mind:
- Checks sent via the U.S. Postal Service to any ACF or Affiliate office must be postmarked on or before December 30, 2017.
- Checks sent via FedEx must be physically received at any ACF or Affiliate office on or before December 29, 2017.
- Gifts of appreciated securities should be made by Wednesday, December 26, 2017. Early notification of these gifts will help ensure a smooth transfer. Contact your Relationship Manager at 602.381.1400 for assistance with stock gifts and wire transfers.
- Gifts of complex assets such as real estate, closely held business interests or stock, and planned giving vehicles should be discussed with your Relationship Manager as soon as possible to ensure closure by the end of the 2017 tax year.
- Credit card gifts made by phone must be made no later than December 28, 2017; online contributions may be made until December 31, 2017, to ensure timely posting by the credit card company.
Call 602.381.1400 to contact your Relationship Manager for assistance.
Year-end grant recommendations
Donor advised fundholders may wish to recommend grants as part of year-end campaigns or holiday contributions. In order for nonprofit recipients to receive grant checks in 2017*, recommendations should be made by Noon on Friday, December 15. Donor advised grant recommendations can be made online through our secure donor portal, via email to your Relationship Manager, or via fax to 602.381.1575.
ACF calculates a grantmaking target of 4.25% of the fund's balance, averaged over the previous three years. For endowed funds, the grantmaking target remains available for granting through March 31, 2017. On April 1, 2017, any un-granted amount is reinvested in the fund and a new grantmaking target is calculated for the new fiscal year. For spendable funds, the grantmaking target should be treated as a guideline in order to grow the fund over time and create a lasting charitable legacy.
*The timing of donor advised grants has no effect on your 2017 charitable income tax donations since your charitable contribution was made when you contributed it to your donor advised fund.
Year-end Giving Hotline
The Arizona Community Foundation is ready to help you complete your year-end charitable giving, with our staff available to provide answers and process transactions until the last day of the year. Our offices will be closed on Monday, December 25 but will be open for business as usual Tuesday, December 27 through Friday, December 29 at 5:00 p.m.
A Year-end Giving Hotline for donors will be available from 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 29 thru 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 31. Call the Arizona Community Foundation at 602.381.1400 or 800.222.8221, leave a message and a member of the ACF staff will respond promptly.